Friday, November 29, 2013

Savannah Quilt

I'm learning to quilt, and boy, did I pick a dousy for my first!

My stepmom is getting the first quilt. I love her very much, and she's my only family member who quilts, so it seemed fitting.

You cut strips of fabric 3/4" to 2" wide and sew them together. It's supposed to be from full cuts of fabric, 44", but I'm using fat quarters,about 22" wide. Made a whole bunch more work for myself, doing that, I did. Doubled it, actually. But I found some really nice quarters! I couldn't help myself!

I am finding though that the very narrow strips are wicked time consuming. I'm about out of strips that I've already cut, and I'm planning on cutting mostly wider ones for the next round.



I'm calling it Savanna because one of the fabrics has little safari animals, and I chose a neutral/gold color palette.

Anyway, after you sew all the strips together, you cut 9" diamonds, sew them together to make a star, and fill in the block with fabric. I haven't gotten that far at all yet, but I will. And I'm planning on using a really nice rust-colored batik for the background, which I still need to purchase.




Time to keep on chugging away on my trusty old Necchi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update:

This blog is retired.